Sunday, January 14, 2018

So I'm Vegan Now

Yep you heard that right I'm vegan. I attended SEED- a Plant Based Food and Wine festival in Miami, Florida back in November and it has changed the way I look at food and how a plant based whole foods diet can really change me and my weight.

Now I really went there to visit my sister and her and I had a fantastic time. I watched her command a room and runway while running an eco-fashion show, that she developed from the ground up. If you want to learn more about what she does to make our fashion more eco-friendly visit her site thefulledit.com

Since becoming vegan a little over two months ago I have already found that I have more energy even when tired after a day at both of my jobs. Plus on top of the increase in energy I have also lost a little more than 25 pounds. YAY Me! I don't really believe in scales, I have always believed that they are evil objects that were invented to make people but especially women, feel bad about themselves. Until last week the only time that I would step on a scale was when at a doctors visit. I have never thought this to be odd. I have always stood by the fact that I would know if I have lost weight but seeing the change in how my clothes fit. But last week after noticing that almost everything I had worn in the last few weeks is not only fitting better but is almost getting to the point where my clothes were actually bag and unshapely.

So on the scale I went. Not only did I weigh myself once but 3 or 4 times just to make sure it was accurate since I almost couldn't believe it when I saw what I know weighed. I am currently no longer in the 300 club and I honestly don't know when the last time that was. For 2018 I have even more goals and have updated those on my goal page.

Now for the food:
For those of you that have been following this blog from the beginning, you know that I used to be apart of a competitive BBQ team so I'm sure you can imagine how hard it has been since becoming vegan. Well, SURPRISE it wasn't as hard as you would think. A few differences, sure. More meal prep, you bet. Do I actually have to shop for groceries now, oh yay. It has been more time consuming and a lot more planning has had to go into my life now but it has been fun to learn more things about this life that I have chosen. I have researched new recipes, new ingredients to use; like tofu and nut based sauces. While I have had tofu before I have only ever had it deep fried so trying it using other cooking methods has been a welcome challenge that has turned out to be pretty tasty.

I have tried very hard to keep my diet as whole food as possible, meaning I eat mostly vegetables, rice, legumes, nuts, fruit, oats, and I try to steer clear of pre-packaged vegan "meats". This is the stuff that is vegan but us supposed to look and taste like meat. I will have the occasional veggie burger but other than that I try really hard not to eat those fake meat items.

No comments:

Post a Comment