Friday, January 6, 2017

Meatless Monday Cooking Class

If you remember my sole post from what is now two years I had lost my job and was in search of a new path in life. I do believe I may have found it. I am currently working for a food truck company that is known for being the first food truck in Buffalo and couldn't be happier. But I also want to start looking to the future for myself and I would love the opportunity to be able to teach home cooks not just some new recipes but some simple techniques that will get healthy but delicious meals on the table fast. I am taking the first steps towards that dream by having a small cooking lesson with my cousins, sister and some friends to test out my teaching skills. 
Since we just happen to be doing this on a Monday and we are all trying to eat healthy I decided to make it a meatless meal. I found a recipe for Lentil Meatballs with Lemon Pesto Sauce which I think can be altered to have with marinara sauce as well, as I don't know if my cousins will do the whole Pesto thing. I love it; its a great bright alternative to a heavy marinara particularly with this recipe for it which puts a good amount of lemon in it to make it even brighter! 
So here is the game plan for today I am going to get the lentils cooked prior to everyone getting to the house so that all we have to do is get everything mixed up, roll the balls and get them in the oven. Then once the balls are in the oven get working on the sauces. Wegman's has some of the best jarred sauce around which is what I will reach for if I don't have time to make my own sauce. For regular pasta I prefer a chunkier sauce but I'm not the one eating it if you buy it so get whatever you like best or whats on sale that week.
As a tip- a lot of times I find that chunkier sauces have more flavor then a smooth jarred sauce so I suggest finding a sauce that has the best flavor for you and if it happens to be a chunky sauce and you like smooth sauce you can always throw it in a blender before putting it on the stove to get the consistency that you like best.
Along with the Lentil Balls I am going to make a light pasta using angel hair, kale and sun-dried tomatoes. This is a very simple pasta that will pair well with the Pesto as well as the Marinara Sauce.

Here is a little glimpse into our prep of the Lentil Meatballs. (PS. first time editing video)


Angel Hair with Kale and Sun-dried Tomato

Ingredients:

1/2 pound Angel Hair Pasta
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil + more to drizzle on at the end
1 large bundle of Tuscan or Black Kale, finely shredded
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/2-2/3 c oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, julienne
Pasta water
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (To Taste)
Salt and Pepper
1/4 c fresh grated parmesan cheese

Method:

Cook Pasta one minute less than package instructions. (It will continue to cook when added to pan sauce)
In a large sauté pan over med-high heat add oil, garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to avoid garlic from burning. Add pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and kale. Add in a little Pasta water to help wilt kale. Cover, cook until kale is wilted stirring occasionally. Add in Pasta and combine, taste and adjust seasoning if need. If pan appears dry add more pasta water and toss everything together. This will act as the sauce for the pasta. Plate it up drizzle a little Olive Oil on it and grate parmesan cheese right over it. Serve it to all your friends.

For this type of pasta I would serve it more as a side to the Lentil Balls but the balls could also be placed on top with the sauce if you choose.

Not that every meal does but for me I would love it if every meal ended in dessert and that is no different with this meal. I kept things simple with...

Berries and Cream

Ingredients: 

Mixed Berries
Balsamic Glaze
Fresh Cracked Pepper
1/2 pt Heavy Cream
Powdered Sugar (Optional)
Shaved Dark Chocolate

Method:

Up to a few hours before serving, in an impeccably clean mason jar combine very cold Heavy Cream and Powdered sugar if desired, screw on the top and shake. 
Right before serving; in a medium bowl, combine berries, glaze, and pepper. Spoon into serving glasses, top with cream. Using a vegetable peeler shave chocolate over glasses.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the blog! Recipe for the meatless balls and berries dessert look delish :) glad to see you back into making a healthy change in your life. Do it for yourself, nobody else's opinion matters :)

    ReplyDelete