Monday, November 17, 2014

Who's ready to see me Trot like a Turkey!!

For those of you not in the Buffalo, NY area the title of this post may not make a whole lost of sense but for those of you who are it should make a ton of sense at least around this time of year. Now I don't want to leave some of you in the dark so I will tell you what it means... I am running in the 119th annual YMCA Turkey Trot. Yes... I said running. An 8k... that just shy of 5 miles.
If you have read any of this blog before you may have read that one of my goals is to start running foot races. Initially I thought I would get to this in the future, you know a couple of years down the line once I have lost a substantial amount of weight. But motivation has come calling by the name of Peggy G. and I decided this could be a way for me to jump start that weight lose, RIGHT NOW. 
Now, I know some of you must be thinking... "What is this girl thinking?" This is going to be hard... She has already injured herself a couple of times this year... This was goal on the bottom of her list for a reason, it was to come after everything else. 
"Trust me these are all things that have run through my mind before. I am full of self doubt so I decided to turn over a new leaf and try something new. I mean that's the only way I am going to change right?"
Now I have consulted my favorite runner... Molly P. and she has put together a training plan for me so that I am not completely lost in what I need to be doing but it has been harder than I thought. I don't know why I thought it would be easy as I don't normally run and for the fact that I am super intimidated by treadmills. Now, put me on an elliptical for 3.5 miles I'm good... I won't be going super fast but I can finish it and be all sweaty and gross by the end but I won't be in extreme pain. I tried to attempt this on a treadmill I could not finish it didn't even get half way even with walking the majority of the time I was on it, wheezing even after taking my inhaler (did I mention I have asthma) my ankle that I twisted about a month ago was clicking in protest. My calf was as tight as a rubber band about to snap and my side was cramping... all things that I do not fine fun at all. This all happened this past Friday.
It is now Monday, I have not stepped a foot back into the gym in utter fear of failing. I have stretched some but not enough that I think that it has helped but only time will tell. I need to get to the gym today and I do believe I will have better luck as well I have to do better as I have a lot of work to do. 

See training schedule below:



THIS WEEK!!!!
Thursday (11/13)Friday (11/14) Saturday (11/15)Sunday (11/16)
OFF3.5 MILES40-45 min Cross train on elliptical30 Min Walk
NEXT WEEK
Monday (11/17)Tuesday (11/18)Wednesday (11/19)Thursday (11/20)Friday (11/21)Saturday (11/22)
40-45 min Cross train on ellipticalOFFEASY 3.5 Miles Run30 min walkOFF40-45 min Cross train on elliptical
RACE WEEK
Sunday (11/23)Monday (11/24)Tuesday (11/25)Wednesday (11/26)RACE DAY
40 Min Run (take this as slow as you need too!!!)30 min Cross train on elliptical (go super easy on this)30 Min Run (take this as slow as you need too!!!)30 min walk8KYOGA CLASS and 20 min walk 

No comments:

Post a Comment